Friday, March 31, 2017

The week in review...

Another week in first grade has flown by!  I cannot believe that tomorrow is APRIL!

I was really happy with the reading tests on The Kite.  As I said in my explanation note, we took the multiple choice parts of the test yesterday using the ActiVotes.  (I have to tell you, it is so hilarious when I say it's time to take our test and they CHEER because they get to use the ActiVotes.  Ha ha... whatever works, right?!)  They took the written portion of the test today.  I was really happy with how we did on the written part as a whole.  I did help them more than usual today on the sentences, which I won't always do.  I had students give me the beginning part of the sentence (without the actual answer) and I wrote the "sentence starter" on the board for them to see how it should look.  Then they finished each sentence on their own.  I also reminded everyone to use a capital letter at the beginning of the sentence and Toad's name, and a period at the end of the sentence.  I will probably do this on next week's test, too.  Then the week after that I will still have a student say the beginning of the sentence for us, but I won't write it for them.  Then after that they will be on their own!  It's almost time to fly, little firsties!

Next week's story is The Garden.  Please listen to your child read it every night.  Please sign and return the reading slip on Thursday morning.  Please review the comprehension worksheet with them on Thursday night.  Discuss any mistakes they made or how their sentence may have been better.  It is so important that your child returns their reading book to school EVERY DAY.  We read the story in class every day and if they don't have it they have to share.

Spelling Words for next week:
sun, frog, toad, now, green, will, they, does, rain, pain
Bonus Words: garden, frightened

We learned how to add with regrouping this week.  This is one of the tougher math lessons we will do in first grade.  I am really happy with how most of our students are grasping this difficult concept!  Our Math test on Chapter 6 will be on Thursday, April 6.  One way that you can help your child is by going over any mistakes they make on any math papers that come home.  I do that at school as much as I possibly can, especially when students get multiple problems wrong.

We celebrated Hailey's birthday this past week!  Happy Birthday!

Congratulations to Gabrielle, Hailey, Maile, and Tanaja for making their AR goal this week!  Congratulations to Zariyah for being our first friend to make her AR Challenge Goal!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Hugs and High Fives!
Ms. Bleich

No comments:

Post a Comment